Sunday, October 26, 2014

critiques

Yesterday was my first SCBWI conference and portfolio critique. It was overall a very good experience.I learned a lot about the industry and met some fellow illustrators who are in the same situation as me, that are just starting out and finding our way. My critique was with the talented Shadra Strickland. Some of what she said was a little hard to hear, but that is true of all good critiques. You work so hard and to hear it's not as good as you believe it is, is bad for the self-esteem. However she gave me some great suggestions on what to work on, including:
*My character's faces were too cartoony/generic and suggested I use more photographic reference.
*The backgrounds were not receding enough and in turn my characters were not as sharp as they should be.
*I should work on using more negative space in my compositions
*My skin tones were too muddy looking
*Try playing around with different mediums
*She thought that I haven't found my style yet (I'm not sure if I agree with this one)
*Don't paint what you think people want to see, paint what makes you happy and excited

So I am going to take her advice and play around and do some experimenting. Today I played with combining gouache, concentrated watercolor and colored pencil. I like the results and I'm going to keep on keepin' on.


No comments:

Post a Comment