Friday, March 20, 2009

Squid Alert



Finally finished! I just completed this painting yesterday, the paint is still wet. I have been working on it for a long, long time and it feels really good to be done. It was painted in oils and started out as a monochromatic grey painting and then I added layers and layers of glazes to get the colors I wanted. It was very time consuming since I had to wait for each layer to dry before I could add a new one (usually a few days or more). It's also a pretty large painting, 36x24''. The colors turned out brighter than I had imagined but overall I'm very happy with it. On to the next one. . .
It fits into IF's topic 'Subtract' because I subtracted some of the squid's anatomy to make it more stylized. Your comments are always welcome and thanks for looking!

19 comments:

  1. Looking Great! I really like the colors and expression on the lady's face. Awesome Job Keep it up.! -Mr. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously great job! digging the vibrant colors...looking forward to your next one

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow beautiful! Wonderful palette. Glad it's not me facing that thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it looks fabulous, the colors are stunning and I can only imagine how vibrant it looks in real life

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the colors on it, and I think it fits in with your overall style. Don't fight the natural leanings of your color, use it. It works well here, and I'd love to see you explore that more. Not everything has to be Francis Bacon, to be art.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really wonderful-- it looks like it took a long time! Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know glazing is amazingly hard work, and that has a lot more to do with the waiting, not the actual work! But it is so worth it! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you did a terrific job, the painting looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the design and use of color. Amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratullations, Joanie! So much time and hard working finally had the reward - it's really great! The composition and especially the colours are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wowee! This is fantastic! I love looking at all the details and the colors in the coral. Really gorgeous, and I believe you when you say it took a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great squid. I always find so many arms tricky to balance but you have pulled it off beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing work! Love the colors and the nice clean look. Nice!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. fantastic painting! the colours really pop. just beautiful, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful bold colors. Great Job!.....Love it. Keep up the great work. Can't wait to see what is next!

    ReplyDelete
  16. the color in this piece is amazing! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete